Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tree Lighting

Typical Mary and Dave, late for the tree lighting. Needless to say we missed Santa arriving by the fire truck and lighting the tree. We were pulling in as the fireworks were going off. As usual, I do have a good excuse, I mean reason for being late. The country club puts on this festival which is free. All they ask is a donation to the food pantry or toys for tots. Well I forgot to pick up a toy so was cleaning out the cupboards for the food pantry. I realized a lot of things have expired and I didn't want to donate bad food so I made us late by about 5 minutes.
Anyway we had a good time. The line for Santa was way too long so we grabbed a cookie and some cider. I must say the country club did a great job with cookies, hot cider and cocoa. Kids got to have their picture taken with Santa, decorate cookies and do arts and crafts. The even had sleigh rides going all evening. Madison seemed to enjoy the Chaos.
Dave and I on the other hand were disgusted by it. Well I guess really more me. I was very disappointed in my fellow neighbors. When we dropped off our donation there were only a handful of toys and a meager amount of food donated. I was ashamed. There were 100's of people there sponging off the country club, having a good time yet couldn't bother to donate. I know times are tough but this was pathetic. The parents should have been a better example to their children even if it was just 1 can of soup. I was appalled by the behavior of the children and mortified by their parents. They were bringing out trays and trays of fresh baked cookies. I was waiting in line and kids were cutting me, but hey it was for the kids right? I had enough when this lady pushed me and then pushed a kid to get to a cookie. I had to say excuse me to her and she really was offended by it. That's when Dave and I said enough. I assumed with all the people we couldn't get sat for dinner but Dave said try anyway. We were able to get sat right away. A bunch of beggars I tell you, no one could even thank them by paying for their own dinner. I think I am very crabby today but where the hell is the Christmas spirit? Well here are a few pic's. We had trouble taking them because of the lovely considerate crowd.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow, I'm flustered just reading about it, I hate crowds. Nevermind rude people! Bah Humbug! I tell you, I almost dread xmas b/c of the crowds and those ppl who ruin it for the rest of us.
On a lighter note...I miss you guys! Will we ever see you? You sound busy, I hope we're on your to do list! ♥ you guys!

Mary said...

Can you tell I have PMS?

Mary S. said...

I would never walk into a free meal that asks for donations and come with nothing!People are crazy! At least you know you did the right thing.
When the parents are idiots the kids usually are too.